Saturday, March 29, 2008

Martha Stewart: Pets need good, healthy food -- just like humans

Q . I am concerned about some of the ingredients in commercial pet food. What do you feed your dogs?

A . It's just as important to read the labels on your pet's food as it is your own. Make sure that the first ingredient listed is some kind of meat, and that the rest of the ingredients are natural, as opposed to processed. You'll also want to choose a pet food that is not high in carbohydrates or sugar.

I feed my dogs an all-natural, organic dry food, but then supplement their diet with some very basic human foods. For example, I often give them steamed vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots, kale, spinach and even sweet potatoes. They need plenty of protein, so I'll also scramble the occasional egg for my dogs or add a piece of cooked meat or a spoonful of cottage cheese to the bowl.

Paying close attention to your dog's diet and giving him fresh, nutrient-rich food will help him live a long and healthy life.

Read More

No comments: